Almost 11 years ago I went to China and was fortunate enough to spend a day walking the Great Wall of China.
I wound up going to a part of the Wall that was not a big tourist area. In fact, that part of the Wall closed not long after my visit and has only recently reopened. It was very intense. Part of the area I walked was almost straight up and down. I literally crawled up part of the way on my hands and knees it was so steep. Other parts were very worn and falling apart. I remember climbing down some steps that were only 2-3 inches deep, most of the steps had crumbled away. There wasn't a railing, just a lose chain that hung along the side. It would have been very easy to fall off the Wall if you were near the edge.
I spent the better part of the day climbing that Wall because I knew it was the opportunity of a lifetime and I probably wouldn't have another opportunity like that again.
To even get onto the Wall you have to climb up the mountain. Once I got to the top of the mountain and stepped onto the Wall for the first time there were several people waiting there. There was a man and a woman that saw me coming a mile away. These folks waited for people to come up and then they would walk along side them for the entire time they were on the wall. They answered some questions and just walked with me, whether I wanted them to or not. Once I got back and was done walking, they tried to sell me a souvenir book of the Great Wall of which I was only too happy to buy. I was so grateful for their help. They walked with me for about 4-5 hours just for the opportunity to sell me the book.
I am not a big fan of heights. I held onto these strangers for dear life on certain parts of my climb, mostly the man. The woman was trying to help some other folks at times. Sometimes the trip down was even scarier than the trip up. I remember asking them how many people had fallen off the Wall. They said three. I didn't want to find out if that was three ever or just three today....
For me, the walk on the Great Wall was amazing, challenging and scary. I remember a few times I just had to stop and sit on the ground because we were so high, the drop-off was terrifying and it was so steep. These faithful folks waited with me and then took my arm and walked with me, one on each side up to the next tower. I didn't know these people at all. I couldn't understand them enough to even know their names, but I held onto them with everything I had as we climbed. They climbed this wall everyday, multiple times a day. No one had to hold onto them. Without them I don't think I would have climbed as long as I did. I wouldn't have seen half of the beautiful view without them.
Walking through trials is a bit like climbing that Wall. There are things we would have never seen if it weren't for the trial. There are parts of God that we see, His character, His love, that we would have never known if it weren't for the trial. It is rocky, scary, and unknown. But we have a Guide who walks with us. He gently takes our arm and leads us up the mountain. It looks scary, but He has done this before. This is His mountain. He created it. Even the mountain obeys him. If a rock crumbles, it is because He ordered it to. He will get us safely where we need to go, not because He wants to sell us a book at the end of the trial, but because He invested so much in us. He gave us His Son. He loves us. He wants us to read His Book before, during, and after the trial. When we sit down and take a break during the steep climb, He is giving us rest. He is comforting us. He is assuring us we will make it, that He is with us.
I remember that man that walked with me. It didn't matter that he was a stranger. I held onto him tighter than I have ever held onto anyone else, friends or family. I held onto his arm for 4-5 hours. He was a gentleman, a father, maybe even a grandfather. He was patient with me.
As I go through various trials I pray I hold onto the Lord even tighter and longer. I pray when the trial is over I am still clinging to Him. I will only go where He goes. His path might be rocky, steep and hard, but it is the only path I want to be on. The easier paths are a lie. They look easy, but they lead to death. Lord please help me to always choose Your path for I know it is good and it leads to Eternal Life.
No comments:
Post a Comment