Several years ago I was watching my friend’s children and to entertain them for the evening I took them to the dollar store and let them get a few toys. I let them get whatever they wanted. I knew that even if the toy made noise their parents wouldn't care because at the end of the evening the toy would most likely be broken because it was a cheap dollar store toy. They had a lot of fun playing with their toys for the evening and as expected most of the toys only lasted for the one night.
Years ago I used to buy cheap shoes. They were pretty and they were cheap. I would buy one or two pair a year. They would only last one or two years though, and they made my feet hurt something terrible.
I was thinking about those dollar store toys this morning and I have been thinking about shoes a lot lately as I am trying to find a good quality pair for vacation. The cheap toys and cheap shoes remind me of the things of this world. The things of this world are cheap and unsatisfying. They will break. They will fall apart. And like the cheap shoes, they can even hurt us and will not last.
It is hard not to think about eternity when you see your best friend’s house on fire, a friend's 2 year old granddaughter die of leukemia, another friend's son in a coma, family members with serious illnesses, and the list goes on.
I believe that it is the Lord's kindness constantly reminding us that this world is not our home. He is warning us to not get too comfortable here and also letting us know that this is not "it", there is a better world coming. A place where there is no more sadness, no more pain or suffering, no more tears.
Don't lose heart my friends... eternity is waiting... and it is good.
1 comment:
Great post. Years ago friends of our had a terrible, terrible house fire. Thankfully his family made it out alive. What he said in a testimony later was, "What I realized is that Home is a place I've never been."
So, so true.
On a lighter note, have you ever worn Naot brand sandals? made in Israel, they are like nothing I've ever felt before. Not cheap, but you don't want cheap. Get em on ebay. They're not sold in stores, to my knowledge.
Post a Comment