About Me

My photo
I am a small town country girl who has learned how powerful the love of God is. I pray that you are encouraged by this blog. If you are struggling or weary please know that there is hope in Jesus. He loves you. This blog was created to show Evidences of His Grace.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Why am I STILL single?

I have had this post rolling around in my head for some time now.  This topic is bitter sweet to me because it is one of the last conversations I had with my dear friend Steve before he got sick and later went home to be with the Lord.  This conversation is one of my favorite treasures.

I am 41 years old and still single.  I remember talking with Steve about my singleness.  I told him there were different theories out there as to why I am still single.  Some say it is because I struggle with my weight.  Some say it is because I have an assertive personality.  Some say it is because I am set in my ways, over-the-hill and that ship has sailed.

Steve had his own thoughts on the matter... and in true, classic, matter-of-fact Steve style he shared his opinion with me...

"I have seen the most unusual combinations of people marry.  Short, tall, thin, overweight, young, old, assertive, quiet, rich, poor, healthy, unhealthy, academic, and simple.  I don't understand why some people are interested in each other.  It is a mystery to me.  But what I do know is that ANYONE can get married, absolutely anyone.  You are single for one reason and one reason only.  You are single because that is right where the Lord wants you right now.  If He wanted you to be married, you would be married.  Any mistakes you have made are not too big for God.  Any sin in your life is not too big for God.  Your weight, personality, age... are all perfectly in the Lord's hands.  He is a BIG God.  Quit putting him in a box." 

And with that, the conversation was over. 

I miss my friend, a lot.  He had a sweet bluntness about him that I so appreciated.  I don't really struggle with my singleness anymore.  Who am I to argue with where the Lord has me?  Do I desire to be married? Yes.  Very much so.  Especially since my sweet daughter desires it so greatly for me.  But there is a peace there.  A trust.  A knowledge that Someone infinately wise and perfect is steering the ship and I trust wherever He takes me.  He is limitless.  Anything is possible with God... Absolutely anything.

2 comments:

JennGrover said...

That has to be the most accurate answer I have ever heard...and not a surprise that it came from Steve. I miss him, too.

When people draw conclusions or ask about why you are still single, it really perpetuates the lie that marriage is a better option for you, when in truth, God's will is always the best thing for you.

Vicki said...

Amen Jenn.