About Me

My photo
I am a small town country girl who has learned how powerful the love of God is. I pray that you are encouraged by this blog. If you are struggling or weary please know that there is hope in Jesus. He loves you. This blog was created to show Evidences of His Grace.

Friday, February 08, 2013

The Lord Used A Hernia To Bless Me.

You read that right.  I love my hernia. 

A few months ago when I was at my doctor's office I shared with him that I felt some pressure on my throat.  

He wondered if I might have a goiter and ordered a sonogram. 

The sonogram revealed a nodule.

A biopsy was ordered. 

The biopsy results showed I had atypical cells. 

I had a scope done on my throat. 

The results showed my throat was red. 

I had a barium swallow test done. 

Results showed I had mild reflux caused by a hiatal hernia. 

I didn't know I had a hernia. 

Evidently the hernia caused the esophagus to spasm causing reflux and making me feel pressure on my throat.  

Due to the atypical cells found my doctor wanted to remove the left lobe of my thyroid. 

Surgery was scheduled. 

I was a little stressed about the date the surgery was schedule and asked The Lord if he could change the date or my circumstances so that it wouldn't be a concern of mine. 

Within 2 hours of praying, I received a call that my surgery date was moved up two weeks. 

My surgery was previously scheduled for the afternoon. Again a call came and it was moved up to first thing in the morning. 

The day of my surgery came. 

I was concerned about the pain. Every surgery I have ever had always is accompanied with severe pain and then nausea. 

My team of doctors and nurses took this very seriously since I was having neck surgery. They were very proactive in managing my nausea.

When I woke up after the surgery my first question was, "Do I have cancer?"

The answer came from a friend that "happened" to be my nurse, "No cancer. No cancer."

My second question was, "Do I still have my parathyroids." They control the calcium in the body which effects all muscles (heart), teeth and bones. It is common to "accidentally" remove or damage them during thyroid surgery because of their location in the thyroid. 

My parathyroids were fine. 

During surgery they had found a second nodule so they also removed the center of my thyroid leaving only the right lobe. 

When I was moved to my room I started to get very choked up and overwhelmed at the Lord's kindness to me as I was moved into a private room. Because I had a private room my mother could stay with me all night.  I felt spoiled by The Lord. 

The next day I was discharged and sent home without any pain Meds. I didn't need them. 

A few days later on a Saturday morning my doctor called me. My thyroid had been sent to a lab to thoroughly examine it for any possibilities of cancer. 

The results were in. I officially did not have any cancer. 

At my follow-up appointment my doctor explained that had the nodules not been removed, within several years, the nodules would have become cancerous. 

I would have never known about the nodules if it weren't for my hernia causing reflux that caused pressure in my throat from my esophagus spasming. 

Thank you Lord for my hernia! (Which by the way is a small hernia and doesn't require surgery.)

The Lord cared for me through that entire experience. He also gave me a strong peace that He has more for me to do here and that everything was going to be fine. I didn't worry about cancer. He had everything under control. The only thing I did worry about was pain... our big God saw to it that I didn't even feel pain. 

Our God is BIG. 
He can do ANYTHING!
He cares about every detail, big or small. 
He is a loving, faithful God. 

Thank you Lord for your lavish blessings, especially my hernia . 

2 comments:

Mark Altrogge said...

What an encouraging post Vicki! Praise God for his kindness and faithfulness. Praise God for your hernia!

Zoanna said...

Praise the LORD, Vicki! I love to hear how God uses pain to protect us, because it's so unnatural to give thanks for pain. Thank you for writing this!