
When I was a kid I hated green peppers. I have memories of sitting at the dinner table long after everyone else had finished their meal staring at those green peppers that had found their way into my salad and trying to think of how in the world to make them disappear without eating them. I would either choose to swallow the green pepper pieces whole or I would stuff them down into my pudgy cheeks and then after being dismissed spit them out into the toilet. I hated green peppers.
Years later I tried a green pepper again and I found that I liked it. I still don't like cooked green peppers, but now I really like raw green peppers.
I was thinking today as I was eating a green pepper how my taste buds have changed and how something I would have never done before I now actually enjoy and find pleasure in. I thought of how the Lord does this with our hearts.
I remember as a child I hated to go to church and now I love going to church. The thought of listening to Christian music years ago would have been like getting me to eat those green peppers. Now it is a breath of fresh air for me. Reading my Bible? I love reading my Bible but I still have days where I struggle to faithfully get into the Word at times, but not nearly like I used to.
I am encouraged because I didn't used to like green peppers and now I do. I know that it won't always be a struggle. Each day it gets easier. I didn't used to do my devotions on a regular basis, and then only about 5 minutes a day. My devotions last now from 20 minutes to an hour and sometimes longer. I sometimes do my devotions twice a day. I am encouraged because I know that the Lord is constantly changing my heart and making me more like Christ. I am encouraged that the Lord showed me all of this just while eating a green pepper.
Years later I tried a green pepper again and I found that I liked it. I still don't like cooked green peppers, but now I really like raw green peppers.
I was thinking today as I was eating a green pepper how my taste buds have changed and how something I would have never done before I now actually enjoy and find pleasure in. I thought of how the Lord does this with our hearts.
I remember as a child I hated to go to church and now I love going to church. The thought of listening to Christian music years ago would have been like getting me to eat those green peppers. Now it is a breath of fresh air for me. Reading my Bible? I love reading my Bible but I still have days where I struggle to faithfully get into the Word at times, but not nearly like I used to.
I am encouraged because I didn't used to like green peppers and now I do. I know that it won't always be a struggle. Each day it gets easier. I didn't used to do my devotions on a regular basis, and then only about 5 minutes a day. My devotions last now from 20 minutes to an hour and sometimes longer. I sometimes do my devotions twice a day. I am encouraged because I know that the Lord is constantly changing my heart and making me more like Christ. I am encouraged that the Lord showed me all of this just while eating a green pepper.
(ps - I took this picture last year. I am such a terrible gardener this was all I got out of my garden. But it was delicious.)
4 comments:
I really like this post! Simple, ordinary things that God uses to show us how He's been changing us, even when it takes us a while to notice! I was thinking today as I was waiting for my son to pump gas in the van, that I was scrounging the van to find a Bible. Any version, any size. I was craving the words of Jesus. I can remember years when I thought, "I've read teh Bible today, I want something else." Now I can go a long time without extrabiblical material, but love, love, love to read the Bible! I'm gonna remember your green pepper analogy for a long time!
Wonderful, wonderful post. I love how God uses everyday things to teach us profound truths. This was excellent. I was just today thinking about my own personal devotions, so it was neat to read this.
Also, the picture is so great. Makes me want green peppers and tomatoes right now at 2 am! (I rarely am up this late, by the way) And, at the same time, makes me sad knowing I can't plant my own veggie garden this year.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Sarah (Zoanna's daughter)
Thanks Zo and Sarah.
Sarah - the Lord has you and your mom planting a differnt kind of garden this year, and eternal fruit will come from that.
I can't wait to hear all the details! :)
great post! (found you via Beth) I LOVE green peppers, but am working on Tomatos! YUCK...like salsa, tomato paste, etc, just the actual tomato grosses me out.
Thanks for the encouragement, and that it does take some time and consistancy to get used to something, like as you said devotions.
ps- your garden is WAY better than my non-existent one :)
Post a Comment