Monday, November 12, 2007

Remembering the Lord's Faithfulness

I have friends that have gone through many trials and their life reminds me of when the Israelites crossed the Jordan River into the Promised Land. The Lord told Joshua to have each tribe gather a stone and place it where they lodged that night….

And he said to the people of Israel, "When your children ask their fathers in times to come, 'What do these stones mean?' then you shall let your children know, 'Israel passed over this Jordan on dry ground.' For the LORD your God dried up the waters of the Jordan for you until you passed over, as the LORD your God did to the Red Sea, which he dried up for us until we passed over, so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the LORD is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever." Joshua 4:21-24 ESV


Several years ago I gave my friends a box of stones. My step-mother’s brother was in Israel and I had him get the stones for me to put in the box. I made the box up as a reminder for my friends that they too have gone through difficult times but the Lord has always been faithful and they have always “crossed on dry land.” I wanted them to be able to look at that box of stones and when their kids asked them what the stones meant, I wanted them to be able to share all the wonderful stories of how the Lord provided for them.
I have been discouraged / tempted at times to fear as to whether or not the Lord would provide for me and I just have to think about my friends and I know that the Lord will not fail me. Then I think of all the times he has cared for me time and time again and I know He will continue to be faithful, and of course He always is.

No comments: