I have always realized that change is hard, and believe for the most part that I do fairly well with change. If my job changes the way they do things, I do fairly well with that because usually the change is to make things easier. If we make changes in our children's ministry at church, it is to create safety for the kids and help things run smoother. Yep, I do fairly well with change.
But ask me to change the way I do something, like make a lifestyle change... well that is not so easy. I have tried for years to eat healthier, lose weight, and, well, I hate to even say the word, because for most of my life I have felt it is pure evil... exercise.
I have heard that if you do anything for a month that it will become a habit. With that in mind I decided on my birthday this year to give myself a real gift and try to have a healthier lifestyle. I joined an on-line food journal called myfooddiary.com that helps you keep track of all the food you eat, calculates how many calories you can eat per day and when you have eaten your limit for the day. It also records the amount of vitamins in the food you are eating, and helps you make healthy choices like watching your sodium intake. This journal will keep track of your body measurements, weight loss, and amount you exercise. I have found it to be a very helpful tool. There is also a forum where you can ask questions and get support from other people, and resource links to help you get more information on weight loss and health. They only charge $9.00 per month for all of this. I am not trying to be an infomercial for them, but for me, it is really helpful.
I started this program on May 4th of this year, the day before my birthday, and have done fairly well to stick with it. For the most part I do not eat white sugar, white bread, white flour, white rice, or high sodium foods. I only buy whole grain foods, fresh fruits and veggies, and low fat meats. I eat soy in some forms, and watch my fat intake. I still visit my friends’ homes and eat whatever they serve. Last night I got to have mint chocolate chip ice cream! I usually have one meal per week, at the most two meals where I eat whatever I want, and break all the rules above. I have found though that with eating better, and making sure that one or two meals per week are whatever I want, that I don't go as crazy, and keep normal portion sizes and don't feel deprived.
As for the exercise??? Well, the one thing I LOVE about myfooddiary.com is that it lets you count every little thing you do as exercise. Washing the dishes, typing reports, bird watching! So as long as I get out of bed in the morning, I can log that I exercised just about every day. Exercise isn't so bad anymore. I got a bike for my birthday, and as soon as it is not so humid, I am actually looking forward to riding it.
I am happy to report that not only have I lost 11 pounds since my birthday, but I have lost 11 inches and 2% body fat. The process is very slow, but I feel like I have really started to make a lifestyle change instead of being on another diet.
I got my blood work back today that tested my sugar and cholesterol. I am excited that both are in range and I am sure my cholesterol is better than it was as I hadn't had it tested in a while.
I also believe that the Lord has answered my prayer and allowed me to find something that works for me because I have struggled for many years with my weight, and it is still a battle, but it is getting a little smaller every day.
Well, I have to go exercise... (type a report).
No comments:
Post a Comment