I think it is time to watch my favorite movie of all times... The Power of One .
Here is the write up about the movie from the back cover:
The story focuses on a young English boy named PK. Orphaned in a foreign land and terrorized for his political beliefs by his schoolmates, the pint-sized youngster turns to the only friend who can help him: a kindly yet worldly-wise prison inmate (Morgan Freeman) who teaches him how to box. "Little beat big when little smart," the inmate tells PK. "First with the head, then with the heart." Living by those words, PK fights with his fists and leads with his heart as he grows to manhood. He takes on the system and the social injustices he sees around him- and finds that one person really can make a difference.
The reason I like this movie so much is because PK has one trial after another happen to him, and yet he keeps pressing on. This is not a boxing movie, but a movie about perseverance and doing the right thing, even when the cost is high. I love this movie.
I am so grateful for all my freedoms. This blog for instance... I could never write a blog like this in China. I would be imprisoned immediately if not beaten to death.
I am overwhelmed by the Lord's kindness to me. Air conditioning, (can you tell that is important to me?) religious freedom, incredible friends that I love so dearly, a wonderful, loving family that means the world to me, and a job to pay the bills. Thank you Lord for my bills! Having bills means I have electricity to run the A/C, gas to cook dinner, water to drink, a home to live in, a car to drive, insurance to protect my car if I am in an accident, food to eat, and a cell phone so I can talk to my mom everyday, several times a day.
I remember one Thanksgiving morning I wanted to write in my journal all that I was thankful for. After a few hours of writing, I fell back to sleep overwhelmed by His love towards me. I think I need to write a list like that more than once a year. I think every time I start to grumble and complain I need to write a list of all the things I am grateful for.
I learned three things on that Thanksgiving morning: 1. I will never finish "The List”, the list is endless. 2. I don't deserve anything on "The List”. Everything on "The List" is just the Lord lavishing me with his love. 3. I have more than I will ever need, and need to share my blessings with others.
How does the movie relate to "the list"? I am praying that the Lord will open the door for me to adopt someday so I can share my blessings with a child who is in need. One person can make a difference (when they have the Lord on their side), and I have been blessed abundantly. There is more than enough love to go around. There are a lot of changes that would need to happen for me to adopt someday: different job, more education, and more money. But I have learned that my God is a very generous God, and that "The List" doesn't end. I pray He will give me the strength to persevere.
1 comment:
Whoo-hoo! We got the comment thing going on here, baby!
I saw The Power of One several years ago, when I was in graduate school, with a classmate who told me it was "inspiring," yet I felt depressed for days after (possibly because I was anticipating it being another kind of movie... like when you anticipate a glass of iced tea being sweetened, but it's not... it's not BAD tea, it's just not what you were expecting). I then mocked her (can you imagine?) for the next two years with my version of the little boy's bad British accent: "and then the birds of loneliness and despair laid their stone-cold eggs in the shattered nest of my heart..."
Um... anyway... keep... ignoring my comments. It's probably for the best. ("Like when you click on "comments" and you're excited, but then you read that some doofus has mocked this life-changing movie you love... it's not a BAD comment... necessarily... but it's not what you expect...")
Post a Comment