I had someone very dear to me recently say that he believed I was adopting because I thought I had to earn my way into heaven or try to earn favor with God. I appreciate his care and concern for me.
I don't believe however that I will ever be able to earn my way into heaven. I could never, on my own, earn favor with God. Mother Teresa, the Pope, Joe Shmo, me... none of us could ever earn our way into heaven or into God's favor. There is only one way into heaven, and that is through Jesus alone.
What a relief that my eternal destiny does not depend on me, but on the perfect One who paid my debt in full. I am eternally grateful. I love because He first loved me.
"The gospel proclaims that through his death on the cross and his resurrection from the grave, Jesus has done everything God requires for our salvation. There is nothing else we need to do to gain forgiveness for sins, enjoy fellowship with God, or have the hope of eternal life except trust in Christ alone. This is the gospel of free grace, and anyone who believes it is a Christian."
Philip Ryken
No comments:
Post a Comment