About Me

My photo
I am a small town country girl who has learned how powerful the love of God is. I pray that you are encouraged by this blog. If you are struggling or weary please know that there is hope in Jesus. He loves you. This blog was created to show Evidences of His Grace.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Tap, tap, tap... (Are you listening?)

I was on the phone this morning and I was distracted by a sound coming from my porch. Tap, tap, tap... tap, tap, tap...

I slowly looked out my front door. Just as I looked out a bird flew away. I believe it was a woodpecker. I looked underneath my porch roof to see if there was any damage.

It is amazing what can happen if you don't pay attention to things...

I couldn't tell if the woodpecker had done any damage, but I have some carpenter bees (I don't know what they really are, that is what I am calling them. They are some kind of big flying insect that is drilling holes in the wood underneath my porch roof.)

Had it not been for the sound of the woodpecker I wouldn't have noticed the holes from the bees. One day my porch roof is fine, a short time later - it is full of holes.

This made me think of our hearts. One day we can feel like we are doing well, on the right track so to speak, and then without realizing it, our hearts are full of holes.

The Holy Spirit is a woodpecker of sorts, tapping on our hearts letting us know that we are not paying attention, we have strayed. Maybe we were watching our favorite TV show and then when it was over the show that followed was not something that was appropriate to watch. Maybe it's when we get up and start our day without stopping to pray and spend time with the Lord who created that day. Maybe we are just going through the motions and starting to become stagnant.

Do you feel a small quiet tap, tap, tap on your heart? Are you listening for it? Ask the Lord to help you regain your focus. Thank Him for loving you so much that He will tap on your heart to get your attention. It might be a little painful sometimes when He is tapping away, but He is chipping away at the sin in your heart to create a new heart beautiful heart.

...tap, tap, tap...tap, tap, tap...tap, tap, tap

No comments: