I have quoted Spurgeon often on my blog and thought I would give just a brief description of who he is for those who don't know much about him and a link to get to know him more. I actually would like to buy a biography on Spurgeon to learn more about him. (Here is the one I would like to get if you are really interested in learning more about the life of Charles Spurgeon -Spurgeon: A New Biography by Arnold Dallimore ISBN - 85151- 451- 0).
It amazes me all that this man accomplished in 57 years of life. What an impact he left. What a difference he made. I want to be Spurgeon when I grow up. I hope to be like him now. Not the preacher part, I'll save that for the men. But the encourager part. He has written countless books just encouraging people to press on when life gets hard. Encouraging them on God's goodness, faithfulness, sovereignty and love. He points people to the Savior and gives them hope. Spurgeon had his share of trials. That is how he can speak so easily about God's goodness during trials... experience. People read his devotionals when they are going through life's darkest times and are encouraged to press on, to trust God and to know that no matter what the road ahead holds for them, the Lord will be with them and they will not be alone.
Charles Haddon Spurgeon, commonly C.H. Spurgeon, (June 19, 1834 – January 31, 1892) was a British Baptist preacher who remains highly influential amongst Reformed Christians of different denominations, among whom he is still known as the "Prince of Preachers."
Born in Kelvedon, Essex, Spurgeon's conversion to Christianity came on January 6, 1850 at the age of fifteen. On his way to a scheduled appointment, a snow storm forced him to cut short his intended journey and to turn into a Primitive Methodist chapel in Colchester where, in his own words: "God opened his heart to the salvation message." The text that moved him was Isaiah 45:22 - "Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth, for I am God, and there is none else."
For a little more of a general overview on my friend Mr. Spurgeon go to this link:
Charles Spurgeon
Here are some of Spurgeon's words of encouragement for us:
It amazes me all that this man accomplished in 57 years of life. What an impact he left. What a difference he made. I want to be Spurgeon when I grow up. I hope to be like him now. Not the preacher part, I'll save that for the men. But the encourager part. He has written countless books just encouraging people to press on when life gets hard. Encouraging them on God's goodness, faithfulness, sovereignty and love. He points people to the Savior and gives them hope. Spurgeon had his share of trials. That is how he can speak so easily about God's goodness during trials... experience. People read his devotionals when they are going through life's darkest times and are encouraged to press on, to trust God and to know that no matter what the road ahead holds for them, the Lord will be with them and they will not be alone.Charles Haddon Spurgeon, commonly C.H. Spurgeon, (June 19, 1834 – January 31, 1892) was a British Baptist preacher who remains highly influential amongst Reformed Christians of different denominations, among whom he is still known as the "Prince of Preachers."
Born in Kelvedon, Essex, Spurgeon's conversion to Christianity came on January 6, 1850 at the age of fifteen. On his way to a scheduled appointment, a snow storm forced him to cut short his intended journey and to turn into a Primitive Methodist chapel in Colchester where, in his own words: "God opened his heart to the salvation message." The text that moved him was Isaiah 45:22 - "Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth, for I am God, and there is none else."
For a little more of a general overview on my friend Mr. Spurgeon go to this link:
Charles Spurgeon
Here are some of Spurgeon's words of encouragement for us:
In your extraordinary trial, remember the depth of divine faithfulness... I urge you to believe in the firmness and stability of divine affection... God will not fail. God will not take away His hand until He has finished His purpose concerning us. Great trials bring great promises... Trials greatly enlarge the soul. Thus I do not want, in my better mind, to escape great trials, since they involve great graces... There is love, immortal and unchanging love, in heaven toward you, which will never grow cold. You will be helped. God would sooner cease to be than cease to be faithful. Be of good courage, for today He will strengthen your heart.
3 comments:
Beside Still Waters is one of my favorite books. I love him.
Beside Still Waters is the book I am getting all my Spurgeon quotes from... He is great.
I think after Jesus he is the most quotable person who ever lived. Well, my little boy counts, too, but Spurgeon is the bomb. I couldn't get enough Beside Still Waters when I was going thru deep depression. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a copy for anyone in a serious slump.
Post a Comment