On almost a daily basis we are asked this question. Most of the time people are not expecting an answer, it is just another form of "Hello", but for those that want an answer, I have given this some thought.
The answer really doesn't depend on our circumstances but on how we are doing in our walk with the Lord. I have seen people who are going through very difficult times answer this question, "I am doing very well. The Lord has been so kind to me." I know full well they are in the midst of a difficult trial and yet this is their answer. I have also seen people who are not in the midst of a major life trial (I can put myself in this category at times) but because of focusing on the trial more than their Savior, they respond to the question, "How are you doing?" by telling you every detail of their trial.
I realized this recently when someone asked me how I was doing and I answered, "Really well thanks. The Lord gives me strength for each day." I realized my circumstances hadn't changed and that a few days before when asked the question I had started to go into the long version of my latest trial. The only thing that had changed was the amount of time I spent with the Lord and that I was focusing more on my blessings than my circumstances.
I like that in our culture we are asked this question a lot because it is a constant reminder of what I am focusing on. I pray that I will focus more and more on the Savior and my multitude of blessings. I have so much to be grateful for. I pray that if you ask me how I am doing you will hear about God's wonderful faithfulness.
No comments:
Post a Comment