Sunday, July 01, 2007

What is so great about 3/24/07?


I have had migraines on and off since I was about 15 or 16 years old. There were times when I had migraines everyday for months. There where times when I went a few years without any migraines. When I got a migraine, a bad migraine, I prayed that the Lord would take me home. I would cry, sometimes to the point of hyperventilating, hold my head, rock back and forth and just beg God to please end my life because the pain was just too much. I wasn't suicidal. I just couldn't deal with the pain and was begging for mercy. I couldn't even guess how many migraines I have had over the years, but I have never once gone to the ER. My theory is why would I go to a place with bright lights and loud noises that is uncomfortable where I will probably sit for hours and be miserable. I can be miserable at home. I have thrown up from migraines. I have lost some of my vision temporarily from migraines. Basically when I get a migraine... my world stops. I have shared that I was on medication for 19 years for migraines but my doctor felt that I was at high risk for a stroke if I continued to take it and so I needed to go off of it. I had never successfully gone off of it in the past. The Lord gave me strength to trust in Him to go off the medication and to not fear. I have been off of that medication for about 4 months now and I am doing really well. I also have been doing well with the anti-seizure medicine that I have been on in its place and the doctor has given the ok to start decreasing that medication.

What is so great about March 24, 2007? That was the last day I had a migraine. I have had a few headaches since then, but that was when I had my last migraine. (The difference between a headache and a migraine is like the difference between stubbing your toe and having your toe amputated in my opinion.) Anyway I am so grateful for everyone's prayers and just want to say thank you so very much. The doctor said that I can keep decreasing my medication until I get a migraine, so we'll see how far I can go...

I am so grateful that I have gone this long without a migraine... 108 days... and counting... Thank you Lord for Your mercy and grace. I am so amazed by Your kindness. When you experience pain like a migraine and then you go 108 days without any pain, it makes you so grateful to have pain-free days. Days where you can get up and function and not be in bed all day. Thank you Lord for relieving my pain and hearing my prayers.

Please Lord, will you heal my friends that also struggle with migraines and give them the same relief you have given me. Please heal them.

2 comments:

Zoanna said...

I am rejoicing with you BIG time. Though I've only had 2 migraines in my life, they made me wish for death. Throwing up, throbbing head, can't take light or noise, but even in the darkness is no relief. I can't imagine years and years of this trauma. My husband gets them occasionally adn they debilitate him. I find him on the bathroom floor at 2 a.m. Was 3/24 the day you came off meds as well? Or did you have to wean off them after the 24th? I am praying for similar healing from my fem woes.

Anonymous said...

What a great testimony! Thank the Lord!