George Mueller is one of my heroes. He ran an enormous orphanage on faith alone. What an amazing story. My favorite line from his journal (paraphrased) "Dear Reader, please do not think that I am an extraordinary man because of these extraordinary events. I am an ordinary man who has a Father who is very generous, a Father whose giving knows no bounds. You too can experience this blessing."
Pastor Samuel Lamb is another one of my heroes. I actually got to meet him when I was in China. When he was newly married he was imprisoned for spreading the Gospel. He was told time and time again he would be let out if he would just denounce his faith. He refused and each time he was sent deeper and deeper into the prison system, each level coming with harsher and more torturous conditions. Did he complain? No. His response was, "Lord, how very kind of you to send me to this part of the prison so that the lost souls in this section of the prison can hear your Good News." By the time he was released from prison, his wife had died. When I saw him in China his first words to us were, "Thank you, thank you for bringing the Word of God to us. Isn't persecution wonderful! It just increases His Kingdom."
And most recently, Ian's family has become my heroes. It is hard to comfort Ben because he is too busy comforting/encouraging you. He is speaking of God's goodness, faithfulness, love and kindness to them. He is saying this while his brother is fighting for his life. I have seen them comforting others and caring for each other, not thinking of themselves. It is supernatural. God gives grace to us when we need it. They need it and they are receiving it in abundance.
I see how the Lord cares for us and I see how the Lord uses his church to care for us. At the beginning of the week I was struggling to release Ian into God's hands and trust Him for the outcome. Ian's family has shown me how to place my confidence in God, not in myself, or doctors, but in the Maker of heaven and earth, the Physician, the Healer, the Comforter.
How amazing that they are able to comfort others and help others to trust in the Lord. They are not looking at their circumstances, but at their Savior. Heroes indeed. Their example continues to show me how amazing God's grace is.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
who comforts us in all our affliction,
so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction,
with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
2 Corinthians 1:3,4
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing,
give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
No comments:
Post a Comment