I have been considering adoption for the last 10 years. This has been a deep desire of mine, but I never could figure out how it would work as a single, so I never pursued it. In the last few months the desire has grown stronger and I decided to pray and ask the Lord if it was His will for me to adopt that He would work it out. I also prayed that if it was not His will for me to adopt that He would take this strong desire away.
I have prayed this prayer many, many times over the last 10 years, but the desire was always there. I would look at the kids on the adoption websites every day that needed a home, and pray for them, praying that the next day I looked they wouldn't be there (hopefully indicating they found a good home.)
I started to look at houses closer to my family thinking that if I was going to adopt, then it would be good to be closer to them. I found some really nice houses.
I researched dogs, because every kid should have a dog. There were a lot of really cute dogs.
I was reading books on parenting and getting ready to become a mom.
But then something happened...
The Lord answered the prayer I have been praying for the last 10 years. My heart became flooded with contentment. I no longer had a desire to look at houses or dogs or children's furniture or even adoption websites. I still long for all of the children to have wonderful homes, but I no longer feel called to be one of those homes. It was never a need for me to adopt. It was a desire to give a child-in-need a home. I now feel released from that desire.
I feel overwhelmed by my blessings, and have more than I will ever need. The amount of peace and contentment the Lord has filled me with is amazing.
The Lord has put so many wonderful relationships in my life, and there are ways that I can serve in those relationships.
I am grateful for my singleness. I am not sure if I will ever marry, but I know that for today, the Lord has me single and I am grateful for where He has me.
Sunday, October 29, 2006
More than I could ask or imagine...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Man, you're like "Ms. Personal Growth" or something! Seriously, I'm happy that things are falling and fitting into place more, for you. God's been pretty busy with so many of us, lately, hasn't He?
--Roberto
Post a Comment