We sang It Is Well (With My Soul) at church today... I think that is the first time we have sung that song since Steve's funeral. Oh how I miss him... almost 11 months.
I have learned a lot about suffering over the last few years both as a participant in suffering and as an observer. Here are a few of my observations:
* When you are in a severe trial, that doesn't exempt you from more severe trials.
* When you are in a severe trial, it might not end until you go home to glory.
* When you pray and pray and pray, your prayer might not be answered the way you had hoped.
* When you are a good person and experience a trial, something better is not always waiting (while here on earth... something FAR better IS always waiting in Heaven.)
* What you fear most, might happen.
* While we are here on earth... there will always be another trial coming.
* We don't deserve our trial... we deserve far worse. We deserve eternal hell because we were once enemies of God. If our entire life on earth is filled with intense suffering, and then we die and go to Heaven, we have been shown GREAT mercy.
*Every step of the way, every day of our life, every second of our trial, God is with us and will give us the strength to press on if we trust in Him.
This might all sound pretty gloom and doom, but actually it is a very helpful way to think. If you expect that life will be smooth sailing, you will be tempted to think God is not good and sovereign when you experience a trial. The Bible promises us we will experience trials, even great trials. We are a light to the world. When we suffer, we need to trust in the Lord and put our faith in Him. Others will be drawn to the Lord when they see the grace He gives us during our darkest days.
I remember years ago some dear friends experienced several large trials all in a span of a few days. I expected to find my friends a puddle on the floor but instead I found them grieving yet full of a supernatural strength. It was like they were in the middle of a hurricane, yet they weren't moved from their foundation... they were standing tall and strong in the midst of the storm. They were resting in a very sacred place.
God's desire for us isn't to make sure we have an easy, happy life. His desire is to make us more like Christ and fill us with His joy and peace. To make a rose bush more beautiful, it needs pruned back almost to the point of killing it. But after the pruning, how beautiful the roses are. The back of a beautiful tapestry is a mess. Strings are cut and tied. Knots are showing. No picture is even detectable. There is nothing beautiful about the back. But when you turn the tapestry around, all of the confusion and chaos join together to make a magnificent picture. We only see the back of our tapestry and it doesn't make much sense. Why cut this string that seems so perfect and take it away? Why tie a knot here? How can this mess ever make sense... But on the reverse side a beautiful story is being told and making us more and more like Jesus... We need to trust the Lord, for every trial great and small, every trial has a purpose, even if we don't see it until eternity... and every trial is for our good and His glory...
My very small trial of unemployment is so very minor. I am doing so well. I am not discouraged. I know God has a plan. I know He hasn't left me... not even for a second. I might not get a better job than what I had, but it will be good. So many loved ones close to me are experiencing severe trial. But whether great or small, God is doing the same work... making us more like him and helping us be less drawn to this world and long for our precious home.
FULL of HOPE AND JOY and TRUSTING in my perfect Gardener. It IS Well... With My Soul.
I have this Scripture at the end of all my emails... It has been there for years... and it is still true...
Sing to the Lord; bless His name. Tell everyone about the amazing things He does. Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise! Psalm 96:2a,3b
No comments:
Post a Comment