Friday, December 15, 2006

USE THE DICTIONARY!!!

So I learned a valuable lesson tonight. I was sending an email to a friend talking about something I did and used a word that I might not say often, but might say to myself (remember I live alone - it is not abnormal to talk to yourself often...) and I didn't think was any big deal. I had this nagging feeling (that is a good thing - listen to the nagging voice in your head!) that I should check the real meaning of the word I used.

Because it is a slang word (not a swear word, just slang) I decided to look it up in the
Urban Dictionary. I was a little shocked at what the word meant. I think I have used this word since high school, maybe even junior high and never, ever knew it meant what I read.

Sorry folks, I am not going to share what the word was, but I thought it was just another word for stupid or idiot. It could mean that, but that was not this word's primary meaning. I was so grateful that I used the dictionary before I hit send.

I also thought I might need to think about what other words I am saying that I don't have an accurate understanding of their real meaning. A little scary...

Here is Proverbs 10:19 in the NIV -

"When words are many, sin is not absent,
but he who holds his tongue is wise."

This is Proverbs 10:19 in the New Living Translation - I love this version...
blunt and to the point...

"Too much talk leads to sin.
Be sensible and keep your mouth shut."

I need to do more of this...
(the being sensible and keeping my mouth shut part...)

1 comment:

Ashleigh said...

Tori, thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog letting me know you blurk. :-)

I find myself having to look stuff up on dictionary.com all the time! Normally because I end up using some word I didn't know I knew and want to make sure I'm using it in the proper context. Anyway, "use the dictionary" is good advice! :-)