As time went on I learned that I didn't have to be quite as formal when talking with God. I could pray while driving (with my eyes open of course), while washing the dishes, doing laundry, or other chores, but it was good to still have those quiet times to be still and do nothing but talk with the Lord and thank Him for all of His many blessings and bring my requests before Him.
Lately it seems that the Lord has been showing me how many of His people are in need. I have neighbors hurting and asking for prayer. A co-worker hurting. Friends and family. Friends that are part of sister churches that I have "met" through blogs that are also asking for prayer. There are so many needs out there.
A few years ago I would have prayed for my immediate family and friends and not much beyond that. But the Lord is showing me the need for prayer. I don't think I would have ever said these words out loud, but I think in my heart I was saying, "Praying isn't really my thing."
Here is what the Bible says about praying;
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (ESV)
The Lord wants us to rejoice ALWAYS and to give thanks in ALL circumstances. We will need to pray without ceasing to be able to do that because trials will come. Thank you Lord that you are there to hear our prayers and that you want to talk with us.
The Lord also doesn't want us to go through trials alone. He has given us each other to lean on and support each other through the hard times.
Please continue to keep Ian and Livi and their families in your prayers. Pray without ceasing for them. What does it mean to pray without ceasing? I don't think it means to literally pray every second of the day. I think it means to pray throughout the day as the Lord brings them to mind. As you wake up in the morning and get out of bed - pray for Ian that he will wake up and get out of bed. As you wash your face - pray for Ian's eye that is causing him much pain. As you are eating breakfast pray that Livi will have an increased appetite and be able to eat more that day. As you take your vitamin, pray that Livi will be able to tolerate her meds that day and keep them down. They could be quick 20 second prayers as you go through your day. They don't have to be elaborate. I have an uncle who fell recently. I want to pray when I exercise that the Lord will increase his strength. I pray that this encourages all who read it. I am praying for you the reader that the Lord will increase your faith to pray.
2 comments:
Everything I've been reading lately on blogs, things I've heard on radio, verses in the Bible--the theme is prayer. I have recently started thinking of prayer as the BEST thing a person can do to help in any situation. I regeret that I used to think of it as a cop-out for not putting hands or money to a task. (Of course there are times taht call for both, but ALWAYS ALWAYS prayer). It's really been exciting lately to know the things God is asking me to pray about because He is so eager to answer them and see my joy. I think for God it must be like having this really great present to give someone and you just can't wait for them to open it! OF course some presents come w/ a lot of tape on them so they take longer to unwrap, jsut like getting answers to prayer. Does that make sense/ I am so tired!
It does make sense Zo. I prayed for you a lot on Saturday. Still waiting for the verdict... You are teaching me patience. I know the Lord is going to get you and your daughter to Russia though, so I will wait patiently for the you to tell me you raised enough money. :)
Post a Comment