And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem,
not knowing what will happen to me there.
Acts 20:22 (NIV)
not knowing what will happen to me there.
Acts 20:22 (NIV)
Because I didn't know what to expect I felt compelled to prepare for everything before I left. Call me crazy but this included preparing for my funeral. My best friend is the church secretary and had something happened, it would have been her job to take care of the details of the funeral, make the programs, etc. I wasn't going to do that to her. So before I left I handed her a disk with all the information on it for my funeral, including the programs.
I remember planning my funeral. What a time of reflection. I recently found a copy of the program I printed out in one of my books. Here is what the front of the program said:
Welcome to My Graduation!
Come and celebrate with me. Know that as you are worshipping the Lord, I am joining with you in the heavenly realms worshipping the Lord before His throne, and it is glorious! Oh, rejoice! I am finally home with my Savior. Trust Him. He is faithful. He is worth everything. He is all He promises. I can hardly wait until you are here with me... Rejoice! Rejoice! What a wonderful day! Let us delight in the Lord together and celebrate. I'll see you soon.~
I had a friend point out that some people might not have taken my "Welcome" on the front of my program too well, but had I died in China, this is what I would have wanted to say.
The Lord saw to it to keep me here a while longer, but let us remember where our real home is. Let us remember where we belong. When this world lets us down and disappoints us, let's not get upset. Because this world is not our home.
1 comment:
I think it'd be a good excercise for each of us to plan our funeral, maybe the week before each birthday? It may sound morbid to some, but as you said, a good way to reflect. It certainly would do wonders to help us make the most of the days God has given us, starting with TOday. So, what songs and verses did you pick out? What did you say to family ? Friends? (in this funeral you planned)
Post a Comment