I remember reading a biography of a man named Samuel Lamb. It was the story of an amazing man who was imprisoned for over 20 years for preaching the Gospel in China. He was newly married when he was imprisoned. His wife died two years before his release from prison. His father died while he was imprisoned. His mother died 11 months after he was released. While imprisoned he was told he would be released if he would deny Christ. He refused. Each time he refused he was sent further and further into the prison coalmines and the conditions were worse and worse. He did not complain. His response (paraphrased): "Thank you Lord, for sending me to share the Good News of your Gospel to the people in this section of the prison." I can remember thinking what an amazing man.
This man is very well known in China. His "story" was very inspiring and amazing to read. I can remember thinking this would be an amazing man to meet. Well, the Lord arranged for this to happen. When I went to China the Lord surprised me and I actually got to meet Samuel Lamb. His first words to my group were "Hello, Thank you, thank you for bringing the Word of God to us. Isn't persecution wonderful? It just increases His kingdom."
I share this story because when we get to meet someone who is "famous" it has an impact on us. I read Samuel Lamb's bio and then met the man. I was able to say yes, the man is for real. I saw him with my own eyes. I could see he has suffered. I could see it was worth it. This was just a man. Imagine what it must have been like to have known Jesus when He was on the earth.
I read the following scripture in my devotions and thought of what it must have been like to be John and write about knowing Jesus. To have seen Him, heard Him, touched Him, known Him, walked with Him. To know that his friend was also his Savior. And then John wrote these things down (by the prompting of the Holy Spirit) so that we may share in his same joy.
We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us. We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. We are writing these things so that you may fully share our joy. 1 John 1:1-4 (NLT)
I feel like John is sitting in my living room telling me "He is real. I saw Him with my own eyes. I touched Him with my own hands. The Savior of the World the One whom existed from the beginning, ate dinner at my house last night and we had great fellowship. Join with me in the hope that we have. He has freed us from our sins. All we have to do is ask Him to forgive us of our sins and let Him come into our life and trust Him. His sacrifice alone on the cross is what paid the price for our sins. Jesus alone is the way to eternal life." These words were written so long ago, and yet the Holy Spirit made them come alive tonight as if John just said them. I pray that you will fully share our joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment