About Me

My photo
I am a small town country girl who has learned how powerful the love of God is. I pray that you are encouraged by this blog. If you are struggling or weary please know that there is hope in Jesus. He loves you. This blog was created to show Evidences of His Grace.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Look at the birds of the air


Do Not Worry "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
Matthew 6:25-30 (NIV)

My mother didn't want me to get her a gift on her birthday this year. Of course I wanted to get her a gift. She said she had everything she needed so she listed a few charities that I could pick from to give to instead. I asked her to pick. She had been a rehaber for a wildlife organization for years and so she decided she was going to give the money to that organization. I remember at first thinking, " I know she is going to give the money to that organization..." and kind of rolling my eyes.

Well the Lord gave me an attitude adjustment. He brought the above Scripture to mind. For many years the Lord has used my mother to take care of the birds of the air. She has taken care of them from when they had just hatched, without any feathers, and cared for them until they could be released, nursing them by hand, and feeding them continuously.

I remember watching a mother bird once in the wild caring for her young and thinking how exhausting that was. It seemed she spent the entire day finding food, and feeding her young... that was my mother... caring for the young birds and any other wildlife that Lord brought into her path.

The Lord showed me that if he so faithfully takes care of these sweet, fragile, precious, little creatures He will most certainly take care of me. I have seen my mom care for these "birds of the air" and she does it with great love and care... How much more will our heavenly Father care for us...

When my mom told me she was going to give the money to "that organization" I was so grateful because it reminded me of how the Lord has used my mom to take care of the birds but more importantly how I don’t have to worry about anything… my Heavenly Father will take care of all my needs.

"Do not worry... we are more valuable then them..."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post. thanks for sharing. You are so right. We really have nothing to worry over, do we?

Vicki said...

Thanks Beth. I was tempted to think today "what am I going to do..." (about my future) and remembered - I don't have to worry about it... Everything is in His hands.

I remember a good friend telling me years ago... "It is none of your business" - blew me away, how can my life and my future be none of my business...? But tomorrow and tomorrow's worries aren't my business, they are the Lord's. I just have to worry about today.

Tomorrow will take care of itself. I need to plan for tomorrow, just not worry about tomorrow.

Zoanna said...

Y'day blogger busted 2 of my comments. I gave up. I was just saying good post and your mom and mine sound very similar. She was always helping us nurse little sick and injured animals back to health (or showed them hospice care before my dad explained the circle of life).

Leanne said...

Tori, I read this post the other day and enjoyed it, but didn't comment. Then, today, I found myself in a situation where I needed a scriptural illustration to encourage a coworker going through a difficult time, and what came back to mind was this passage. I was able to share some of the same things you shared.

Thanks for listening to what the Spirit is leading you to write about!

Vicki said...

Thank you ladies for your encouragement. It has been a really hard week at work.