I am currently reading in Judges and I came across the passage...
After Tola died, Jair from Gilead judged Israel for twenty-two years. His thirty sons rode around on thirty donkeys, and they owned thirty towns in the land of Gilead, which are still called the Towns of Jair. Judges 10:3-4 (NLT)
At first I thought it was a funny little passage. What an odd thing to write about someone. Then I realized this was all there was written about Jair. He Judged Israel for twenty-two years and had thirty sons that rode thirty donkeys and they owned thirty towns...
For twenty two years - that was the most that could be said about Jair.
Not much of a legacy. Nothing was said about how kind he was or even how cruel he was. Nothing about any battles he won or lost. Nothing about how he loved the Lord or worshipped idols. Nothing about Jair except he had thirty sons, they each had a donkey and their own town.
To me this is the equivalent to carving on a tree Jair was here. That is about all he did. He was there, but not much else. Not an exciting epitaph. I know I am being hard on poor Jair, but I think his story is there to challenge us. Not that we should have an exciting story and bring glory to ourselves, but that we are doing something with our lives that when people look back at our lives they see the Lord and worship Him.
I have a friend who has a 6 year old little boy who has more of a legacy than Jair. This little boy will take every opportunity he has to evangelize. He goes to public school. He asked his music teacher at the beginning of class if he was good the entire class could he sing a song at the end of class. The teacher said he could. At the end of class my friend's son reminded the teacher of their agreement and the teacher said since he was so good he could sing his song. My friend's son then sang full of joy, "Blessed be the name of the Lord." One of the kids told him that song really rocked. He is planting seeds for the glory of God every day.
What will people say about me when I am gone. Will it be some version of thirty sons - thirty donkeys - thirty towns...?
How will you be remembered?
7 comments:
Umm..sounds like ole Jair was probably busy with 30 women, too, or one or tow were just brood mares! Maybe while the first 12 sons were out ridin' donkeys...Oh, just a guess. No, seriously, this is a wonderful insight. What was his legacy? Whn you gotta say, "Ummm...." about someone else's life at the end, it does make you think, "Am I wasting mine? She went ot 30 yard sales a summer, she complained 30 times a day, she had 30 different craft projects going at once...." I hope to touch the lives of 30 orphans personally. That would be better than having the Towns of Zo left in my wake.
PS My grandma's name was Tola. I kid you not. Tola Maude. I think the only thing worse than the name Tola is the name Maude. But her personality would never have tolerated an average, garden-variety name.
I love your comments Zo. If it weren't for you I might be tempted to quit blogging... I thought that Tola was a cool name when I read it.
Quit blogging?? You can't! This insight was very touching...brought tears to my eyes. May we all be challenged to do more with our life than complain. Thanks Honey.
Your anonymous Mom
Thanks for sharing, Tori. I found your blog through Zoanna's a while back, and I come through and read periodically. I always appreciate your biblical insight - it challenges me, and I need that! I'm working on my tendency to gloss over verses that don't seem relevant at first - you have challenged me to dig deeper!
I always read Tori's blog! I am not a good commenter anymore unless I am actually answering their questions! I don't have the time anymore :-)
Awww, thanks ladies... I know what it is like to be busy and can't keep up with everyone's blog and comment. I won't quit blogging. Sometimes I feel so busy with everything else I am doing a blog just seems like one more thing to do. But this blog has helped me to press into the Lord and see the little things He shows me everyday too. Sometimes it forces me to stop my busy day and just listen to His voice. Thanks for the encouragement.
Post a Comment