About Me

My photo
I am a small town country girl who has learned how powerful the love of God is. I pray that you are encouraged by this blog. If you are struggling or weary please know that there is hope in Jesus. He loves you. This blog was created to show Evidences of His Grace.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Baby Steps

This weekend I worked on my new resume. There are so many options. I didn't feel a traditional resume would be helpful for changing careers, and my research supported my thoughts. I read a lot of good feedback about functional resumes. These resumes list qualities you possess that don't always necessarily come from work experience, but are part of who you are. Functional resumes list what you have been trained in, skills you have, and natural giftings you have. Although I liked the functional resume, all the examples I found didn't list work history at all. I didn’t like that. So I opted for door # 3. The hybrid resume. The name even sounds cool. It is a combination of the two types. I sent my resume out to a few friends and family for review, but for the most part it is done. I am really excited because that is the hardest part - gearing a resume towards particular jobs you are applying for.

The only other hard part left is the cover letter. I really don't like writing them, but have had a lot of experience in the last two years (not by choice), and they aren't as bad as they used to be.

The interview is the fun part. I actually like interviews even though my hands start to sweat and my neck starts to turn red. Interviews are my opportunity to interview my future employer and make sure this is something I want as well.

I usually do well in interviews, and have only ever had one nightmare interview where I was tempted to just ask them to end it now and put me out of my misery because it went so bad. That interview was one for the record books. I was insulted for applying for a position a little out of my reach (they were the ones that saw my resume and called me. I didn't lie in my resume.) Then the interviewer took calls repeatedly through out the interview, and at one point even got up and left the room for a while. They were 1 hour late starting the interview, took me back to start the interview, and then realized their receptionist forgot to give me a bunch of paperwork to fill out. I went back out to the waiting room, filled out the paperwork, waited another 30 minutes, and then finally went into the interview only to be insulted.

Well, I am glad that was my only bad interview or I would be a little nervous right now.

Please keep me in your prayers as I start applying for jobs this week. I know I can do the jobs I am applying for, but many places do not even look at you if you have not worked directly in that field. Well, the Lord has given me the gift to gab. I pray that gift will come in handy in the next few weeks.

Thank you everyone for your prayers. I am getting to bed at a decent time and my weekly report was done by 11:15 tonight.

Yeah!!! Thank you Lord!

No comments: