Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Working while in the waiting room...

Have you ever thought about hobbies we have today that 50 years ago didn't exist? Well, I have one of those hobbies. I love to read blogs. I call it blog hopping. I read a friends blog, and then read the comments on that blog. I can then click on one of the comments to go to that person's blog. Then I can click on one of the comments from that person's blog to go to someone else's blog and so on...

One blog I read has cute sayings this woman's 4 year old son says. They are really funny. There was one I was reading for a while (she has stopped blogging) that had wonderful "thrifty" tips on it. She shared where to get free samples, the latest sales, and other smart shopping ideas. Another is a retired man in Florida who is blunt just like me. He says it like it is. Another is a woman in Los Angeles who has cute little boys and shares her daily journey of motherhood. I don't read all their blogs, just the first line or two and if it is interesting I keep reading. Many do not blog every day either so it doesn't take a lot of my time. I find it so interesting to read about people all over the United States. The cool thing is that somehow, we all know someone who knows someone, who knows someone we know. Once in a while I will see a friend of mine comment on one of the blogs.

I find it so interesting to see how people think, what they see as important, and what trials and blessings they are experiencing. Here is a quote that was on one of the blogs I regularly read. It made me think of my current job situation and switching career's. I found this quote from Henry Blackaby helpful:


Henry Blackaby encourages people not to sit and
ask the Lord for a long, long time
what His will is for them,
but while waiting and praying,
to look and see what God is already doing and
join Him in that work.

What is God already doing in my life? He has started to show me some doors to knock on. He has helped me narrow down the field I want to go into: human resources. He has shown me that I cannot go through a trial on my own and come out okay. I need to rely on His word, and also stay in fellowship with others so I will not grow weary.

Where do I join in? I need to make practical changes like update my resume, learn some new HR lingo, maybe take a class at some point, go to bed at a decent hour, and get out once in a while. I also need to make some changes in my spiritual life. I need to pray more, spend more time in God's Word, and trust Him for my day.

What is God doing? He is making me more like His Son. What more could I ask for?

It is amazing what our belief about God does to how we look at our day or our current trial. My circumstances have not changed. I still work at a job that demands an incredible amount of work to be done in a small amount of time. I still have LONG report due every week. I still work crazy hours. Two weeks ago I was thinking this will never end, I am stuck here and I don't even have enough energy to job hunt to get out of this rut because I don't even have time to get a good night's sleep. Now, I am refreshed, hopeful for what is next, and ready to take on another full time job... job hunting.

What's changed? I believe that God is in control, this is not a hopeless situation, and He will give me the strength to press on. God has used my friends and family to encourage me and help me when I was weary. Here is one of my favorite bible verses. I have quoted it before, but when in a trial, it is a good reminder to remember that "He will provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (NIV)

1 Corinthians 10:13 - The Message:
No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it.

1 Corinthians 10:13 - ESV:
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

No comments: