I would like to take this opportunity to share my experience of adoption. My parents were divorced before I was two years old. My mother remarried just before I turned seven. My step-father and his family accepted me as their own. I was never officially adopted by my step-father because I have my father in my life. I am grateful for both of my fathers. They each have such different qualities, and it is only the Lord's kindness that I should be so blessed to have two wonderful fathers who love me so much.
I have always been so amazed at how my step-father and his family accepted me. My mother was a single mom. She had a very talkative, loud six year old. That could have been seen as baggage. But from day one my step-father and his family treated me like I was theirs. My grandfather has invested some for my brother, (his biological grandson) and amazingly, he has treated me the same and been equally as generous to me. When we see each other I know that I am not a step-grandchild, I am his grandchild. My grandfather sends me coupons, financial advice, and has even done my taxes. He wants to make sure I am okay.
My aunt & uncle would spend the same on me for Christmas and Birthday's as they did on my brother. I remember always getting wonderful books for Christmas. My aunt a few years ago gave me the most beautiful cross stitch ever. My favorite song is the Halleluiah Chorus, and she gave me a cross stitch from Isaiah, from the verse the song is taken from. This cross stitch is huge, bigger than a cookie sheet. I can’t even imagine the amount of time she put into it. (I have received a few others since then even!) I remember one time going to visit them and getting a flat tire on the way to their house. I put the donut on, and when I got to their house, my uncle took my car to the shop and bought me a new tire. He made sure my car was up and running for my trip home.
The generosity of this family, my family, has been amazing for a biological child, but for a step-child, well, to me it is heroic.
I have always felt so loved, and accepted. In the field I work in, I have come to realize that their actions were not the norm. It is unusual, to not treat one kid different from the other. It is unusual to not say, "My kid, or your kid."
I am his daughter, not his step-daughter. They are my family, not my step-family. I don't know if I would appreciate what I have as much if I weren't in this field. I can easily take it for granted at times the love and acceptance I have felt because they do it so effortlessly. Thank you for being there, and being my family. I am so grateful to God for you.
My family has shown me a beautiful resemblance of what the Lord has done through Jesus. We were separated from God. Jesus paid the price for our sins so we can now be adopted. Because of what Jesus did on the cross we can be a part of God's family. When God looks at us, He doesn't see our sinful, wicked past. He sees a son. He sees a daughter. I have all the benefits that Christ has. I am an heir, just as Christ is. All that is available to Christ, all the richest blessings, all that matters most, is as much mine as it is Christ's. I am not a step-child. I am a child of the creator of the universe. I am accepted. I am loved. I am His.
What a wonderful gift we have in Salvation. Thank you Lord for saving me.
Thank you for calling me your daughter. I am adopted!
No comments:
Post a Comment